What do the New Year’s Resolutions of an Agile Leader look like?
- Take the time early in the year to learn something new about every Team Member.
- Express praise and gratitude to your Team for their accomplishments in the previous year.
- Closely inspect your Organization’s mission and core values—do you and your Team still exemplify them? Adapt as necessary.
- Ask your Team what the three biggest lessons they learned last year were and how they plan to apply those lessons this year.
- Find out if toxic emotions got in the way of Team productivity. Check in to make sure everyone feels psychologically safe, and if not, what can be done to change this.
- Explore whether your Team has unmet needs that you can fill.
- Find out if excuses or finger-pointing got your Team stuck.
- Look for Team Members who understand personal accountability, and praise/reward them publicly with examples of their behavior.
Sharing these resolutions with your Team Members will reinforce your dedication to them and to Agile. It will also re-ignite the “human nature” side of you and your Team.
Which of the resolutions resonates with you? Why? Which ones do not work for you? Why not? Do you have any to add?